Findings of six-monthly progress report published by special administrator of defunct broker
KPMG, the special administrators of MF Global UK, said some $923 million in client assets and monies have been recovered, in its six-monthly report published on November 29.
"We have seen some substantial progress made since our last progress report six months ago. In excess of £1 billion of assets have now been recovered into the house estate, while client assets and monies of some $923 million have been recovered," says Richard Heis, joint special administrator of MFG UK and restructuring partner at KPMG.
"Statements in draft or final form have been sent to 95% of all trading customers, and over $179 million has been distributed to them. We have resolved approximately half of the 1,300 disputed claims regarding segregated and non-segregated account classifications."
Heis says 70 MF Global UK employees have been retained until at least April 30, 2013 to work alongside a KPMG team on this complex case.
Key updates in the report:
Returning client monies/assets
• The special administrators have recovered in excess of £1 billion into the house estate (previous report: £509 million)
• Recoveries of client monies and assets stand at in excess of $923 million (previous report: $918 million)
• As at October 30, 2012, $179.3 million had been distributed to 2,362 clients (previous report: $92.1 million)
• Statements in draft or final form have been sent to approximately 95% of all trading customers
• As at October 30, 2012, £23.6 million of client assets had been returned to clients
• A total of 125 client asset, client money and creditor claims with a value of approximately $5 billion have been rejected by the special administrators
Segregated versus non-segregated issues
• The special administrators, working in conjunction with MFG UK management and staff, have resolved 650 out of approximately 1,300 disputed claims (c.49%)
• The remaining disputed accounts are under investigation, and the special administrators are working closely with legal counsel to determine the appropriate status of these accounts
Get similar articles delivered to your inbox
Register for regular alerts to receive up to date news directly into your inbox
Download the latest digital edition of FX Week here
Get every issue on your tablet or smartphone to read on the go
Download the latest digital edition of FX Focus here
FX Week Directory